Sunday, August 28, 2011

Energy

After time, the second most important resource we have is energy. Where does our energy come from? It is generated by the food we eat; but efficient use of that energy depends on our physical and emotional well being. If we simply eat without training our body and mind to use and focus the energy properly, much of it is wasted or at least inaccessible. The really interesting thing about energy is that we have access to all of it at any time. So I can teach all day at 100% and play with my little boys at 100% for several hours in the evening (if I'm in shape). We don't need to 'save' 50% of our energy for when work is over, only working at 50% for those 8 hours. For this to work, we need activity that puts us in condition mentally and physically to access that energy AND we must decide to invest all our energy all day long in the people and activities of value to us.

There may be activities which involve very little or no energy - watching TV for example. Though I enjoy it once in a while, I realize that if it does not demand much energy, it is probably not worth my time either. Remember that mental energy - conversation, problem solving, critical thinking, analysis - is just as valuable as physical energy. But we need to train ourselves daily in both areas because our tendency is always toward laziness. I don't have any studies to support my ideas here, sorry. If someone has data which supports or refutes me, I would love to hear it. I guess I will have to invest more time and energy here - when I have some to invest...

No comments: